20 Questions That Only You Can Answer
Are you an alcoholic?
To find out, ask yourself the following questions,
and answer them as honestly as you can:
When I got sober it was normal and customary to give the newcomer a card with these questions to answer. We don’t see them much around AA anymore but I still find them valuable to the newcomer. Maybe they will help you answer your questions. — Love and Peace, Barefoot
1. Do you lose time from work due to drinking?
2. Is drinking making your home life unhappy?
3. Do you drink because you are shy with other people?
4. Is drinking affecting your reputation?
5. Have you ever felt remorse after drinking?
6. Have you gotten into financial difficulties as a result of drinking?
7. Do you turn to lower companions and an inferior environment when drinking?
8. Does your drinking make you careless of your family’s welfare?
9. Has your ambition decreased since drinking?
10. Do you crave a drink at a definite time daily?
11. Do you want a drink the next morning?
12. Does drinking cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?
13. Has your efficiency decreased since drinking?
14. Is drinking jeopardizing your job or business?
15. Do you drink to escape from worries or trouble?
16. Do you drink alone?
17. Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of drinking?
18. Has your physician ever treated you for drinking?
19. Do you drink to build up your self-confidence?
20. Have you ever been to a hospital or institution on account of drinking?
To find out how you did, count your “YES” answers,
Are you an alcoholic?
If you answered YES to one of the questions, this is a warning that you may be an alcoholic.
If you answered YES to any two, there’s a good chance that you are an alcoholic.
If you answered YES to three or more, you are definitely an alcoholic.
Source: The Twenty Questions: Are You An Alcoholic? was developed in the 1930s by Dr. Robert Seliger, Department of Psychiatry, Johns Hopkins Hospital, and intended as a self-assessment questionnaire to determine the extent of one’s alcohol abuse.
Don’t Sweat It – Most of us by the time we get around to answering these questions average more than 15 yes answers . . . I got all 20 . . . after my sponsor pointed out that Jails are institutions. Just Go to AA!!
Barefoot’s ABC Recovery Site
Placed on the Web Feb 7, 1998
Three mighty important things, Pardn’r, LOVE And PEACE and SOBRIETY